View count: 9412
Ph. D. ProgramNational Chiao Tung University
Department of Information Management and Finance
Graduate Program of Finance
Academic Regulations for Doctoral Students
(Applicable only to students admitted in academic year 2019)
Stipulated at the 3rd Academic Affairs Meeting in the 2nd semester of Academic Year 2012 (27 March 2013)
Amended at the 2nd Academic Affairs Meeting in the 2nd semester of Academic Year 2013 (26 March 2014)
Amended at the 2nd Academic Affairs Meeting in the 2nd semester of Academic Year 2015 (30 March 2016)
Amended at the 3rd Academic Affairs Meeting in the 2nd semester of Academic Year 2016 (29 March 2017)
Amended at the 1st Academic Affairs Meeting in the 2nd semester of Academic Year 2017 (21 March 2018)
Amended at the 9th Academic Affairs Meeting in Academic Year 2018 (27 February 2019)
- In order to supervise and encourage its students of the doctoral students of Graduate Program of Finance (referred to as IOF PhD students hereunder, including full-time and on-job students, and AI PhD students (refer to students that enrolled from “doctoral program joint enrollment in AI fields)) to study, the Graduate Program of Finance follows "National Chiao Tung University Regulations for Master and Doctoral Degrees Conferment" to stipulate "Academic Regulations for Doctoral students of Graduate Program of Finance."
2. For the doctoral students of Graduate Program of Finance (referred to as IOF PhD program hereunder), the study period of full-time students is limited within two to seven years, and that of on-job students is within two to eight years.
3. Students having studied the master's program in NCTU for more than one year may apply for the IOF PhD program, if their average score belongs to the first half of each group in each semester, showing their evident research potential, and if they acquire recommendations of two or more teachers of original graduate institutes. The Doctoral Program Committee of Graduate Program of Finance (referred to as IOF PhD Program Committee hereunder) should review the applications, and submit the review result to the Committee of Institute Affairs for approval. The relevant detailed operations should be performed in accordance with "National Chiao Tung University Regulations of Admittance to Doctoral Program from Master's Program."
4. PhD students of other departments or graduate institutes of NCTU may apply to transfer to IOF PhD program, if they acquire the approval of the original departments or institutes, and acquire recommendations of more than two teachers from our department. IOF PhD Program Committee should review the applications, and submit the examination result to the Committee of Institute Affairs for approval.
5. Program requirements:
(1) Students who owns master degree should complete at least 35 credits for graduation.
(2) Students who transfer to doctoral program from master's program should complete at least 41 credits for graduation.
(3) The detailed program requirements should be stipulated by the IOF PhD Program Committee separately. All required courses stipulated in program requirements should be completed and passed before students applying for PhD degree defense. Any elective course which is completed before admission may be applied for exemption, but cannot be waived.
6. Before the 2nd semester of the 6th Academic Year after admission, IOF PhD students should take the course, "Seminar in Finance for Doctoral Students," for each semester. The related rules will stipulated by IOF PhD Program Committee separately.
7. If IOF PhD students hope to take the courses in financial field offered by other departments or graduate institutes and will included into the graduation credits, they should apply for the approval of the department chairperson or of their advisors. (AI PhD students should follow the rules of Academic Requirements)
8. The PhD candidate qualification examination (comprehensive test) of IOF PhD program is held once a semester, and IOF PhD students should pass the qualification examination within the period. The PhD candidate qualification examination (comprehensive test) requirements are listed as follows:
(1) Students should pass the PhD candidate qualification examination before the 1st semester of the 3rd academic year after admission.
(2) Students who join the PhD candidate qualification examination but do not pass it may pass the qualification examination conditionally under the approval of the IOF PhD Program Committee Meeting. Student who pass the qualification examination conditionally should fulfill the following requirement: students should publish one paper on journals of SSCI, SCI, or other B+ (included) journals in financial category of Ministry of Science and Technology with the full name of our Department by the end of the 2nd semester of the 7th academic year after admission. The research topic should be related to financial field, and the paper should not be the dissertation for graduation.
IOF PhD Students who do not fulfill one of the two requirements mentioned above are required to drop out of NCTU. The related regulations of the PhD candidate qualification examination should be stipulated by IOF PhD Program Committee separately.
9. After IOF PhD students pass the PhD candidate qualification examination,
(1) They should select the advisors in the same semester. The advisors should be selected within 1 year at most after students pass the qualification examination. Otherwise, they should be interviewed by the department chairperson, and their parents will be informed.
(2) The advisors should be the teachers who are the full-time assistant professors of our department or above. The quota of one advisor is one doctoral student per session and in total five doctoral students at most.
(3) They should report the progress of dissertation in the course, "Seminar in Finance for Doctoral Students," in each semester after the 2nd semester of the 3rd academic year before dissertation defense.
(4) During the study period, if students are planning to change advisor, they should submit a written application to the department and the application will be effective after the original advisor is notified. The application doesn’t need the consent of the original advisor.
(5) The advisors who plan to terminate the guidance to students, in accordance with the regulations, should submit a written application to the department, and the department will process the application and notify results to the students. After the termination of guidance to students, the department may assist students to find another advisor.
(6) The fourth and fifth items of this rule are applied retrospectively to all IOF PhD students.
10. IOF PhD students may apply for being the PhD candidates if they have studied for more than two years, completed the regulated courses (except the exemptions after approval), fulfilled 35 credits requirement (41 credits requirement for students admitted to the PhD program from master's program directly) (at most 6 credits of the courses offered by other departments or graduate institutes can be adopted, excluding the preliminary courses, AI PhD students who take courses approved by the IOF PhD Program Committee are excluded), passed the PhD candidate qualification examination (comprehensive test), and are recommended by their advisor.
11. Before applying for the oral defense of dissertation proposal, IOF PhD students should pass the PhD candidate qualification examination (comprehensive test) and posses specific and particular research direction. The oral defense of dissertation proposal must be conducted openly by the advisor. Moreover, 2 or 3 scholars and experts of related research fields should be recommended to be the members of oral defense in addition to the advisor. However, IOF PhD students should pass the oral defense of dissertation proposal within four years after admission, or they are required to drop out of NCTU otherwise.
12. Under the approval of IOF PhD Program Committee, the foreign students can study the "basic courses" and "other courses" offered by the University System of Taiwan (UST), and the courses will be regarded as the courses offered by our department, but at most 15 credits of the courses can be adopted.
13. The degree defense consists of oral defense and dissertation review. Student who conducts the oral defense shall first complete the “thesis originality check” and submit the result to the members of the oral defense committee.
14. Before applying for the PhD oral defense, IOF PhD students should fulfill the following requirements:
(1) being eligible for a PhD candidate.
(2) passing the oral defense of dissertation proposal.
(3) publishing the major content of dissertation on one paper of SSCI, SCI, or other B+ (included) journals in financial category of Ministry of Science and Technology with the full name of our Department. The research topic should be related to the financial field.
(4) passing the English proficiency test held by the Language Teaching and Research Center of NCTU, TOEFL (550 or higher on Paper Based Test, 213 or higher on Computer Based Test, or 80 or higher on Internet Based Test), or IELTS (6.5 or higher); or TOEIC (730 or higher); or General English Proficiency Test (High-Intermediate or above), or completing and passing the PhD student English training program offered by the Language Teaching and Research Center of NCTU.
15. The degree defenses for PhD students are generally conducted orally. All oral defenses must comply with the following rules:
(1) There will be five to nine members to form a committee for the IOF doctoral degree oral defense, and were choose from scholars and experts recommended by the IOF PhD Program. They must specialize in the area the applicant has studied and fulfill at least one of the following requirements. The committee members were screened and appointed by the university president. Besides the advisor, at least one full-time teacher of our department should be included in the committee. If there is no adequate committee member from our department, full-time teachers of other department or graduate institute of College of Management should be included. Moreover, the number of members either from inside or from outside of NCTU must be one-third or above of the total number of committee members.
- Is or was a professor or associate professor.
- Is a research fellow, or is or was a researcher or associate researcher of Academia Sinica.
- Holds a doctoral degree, and has outstanding academic achievements.
- Has been researching in a rare, or specific field, and has outstanding academic or professional achievements.
(2) All oral defenses must be conducted openly. The time and place of the oral defense and the title of dissertation must be announced in advance.
(3) All members of an oral defense committee must attend the oral defense in person; stand-ins are not permitted. An oral defense for the doctoral degree may only take place when attended by at least five committee members.
(4) The passing grade and full marks of the oral defense are 70 and 100, respectively. The result derives from one evaluation at most, and determined by the average scores given by the present committee members. Nonetheless, a candidate is regarded as failed and no average score should be calculated if more than one-third of present committee members give the scores below the passing grade.
16. For candidates passing the oral defense, members of the oral defense committee should demonstrate the directions and key points explicitly for the candidates' reference to revise the thesis. The candidates should submit the revised thesis for review. They will pass the review under the agreement of two-thirds of the oral defense committee members. The review does not offer the score separately. For candidates passing the dissertation review, "The Authorization of Oral Members for Research Thesis/Dissertation" should be signed by all committee members of the oral defense. After candidates finish the thesis review, the score of thesis review will become the score of the oral defense.
17. If the students pass the oral defense before January 1 or July 31, but they do not pass the thesis review so they cannot submit the "The Authorization of Oral Members for Research Thesis/Dissertation," they should carry out the registration in the next semester. If students do not submit the authorization by the end of the maximum study period, the student is deemed failed and required to drop out of NCTU in accordance with regulations.
18. For IOF PhD students who pass the oral defense and the dissertation review, the IOF PhD program should submit the score of the dissertation review and "The Authorization of Oral Members for Research Thesis/Dissertation" to the Registration Division of the Office of Academic Affairs for registration within one week, except for those who study in the Education Program in NCTU continuously with the proof by the Center of Teacher Education.
The graduation semester is the one when the score of the thesis review and "The Authorization of Oral Members for Research Thesis/Dissertation" are submitted.
If students who submit the score of the thesis review and "The Authorization of Oral Members for Research Thesis/Dissertation" do NOT perform the deregistration procedure, their status should be treated as graduated.
19. NCTU will confer a master degree upon a doctoral student who passes the PhD candidate qualification examination (COM) but fails the PhD oral defense, if the dissertation is approved by the oral defense committee as qualified for a master degree.
20. For the IOF PhD candidate who is approved by the PhD oral defense committee, NCTU will confer a doctoral degree in management upon the student. Those who fail to pass the oral defense within the maximum study period are required to drop out of NCTU.
21. Doctoral dissertation (including abstracts) must be written primarily in Chinese and comply with the "NCTU Format for Thesis." A student is required to post an electronic version of the abstract and thesis on the university website within one month after passing the oral defense (please refer to NCTU Library Abstract, Thesis and Dissertation Electronization Specification for details). A student must also submit two copies of the thesis (one displayed in the library and one submitted to the Office of Academic Affairs for transmission to appropriate archival units specified by the Ministry of Education). The number of copies for collection in our department is determined by IOF PhD Program.
22. When in dispute, the Regulation is superseded by the "National Chiao Tung University Regulations for Master and Doctoral Degrees Conferment."
23. Any amended version should be applicable only to IOF PhD students admitted for the next academic year after the amendment passes.
24. Applicable also to students admitted before academic year 2019 retrospectively under the approval of student’s advisor or of the department chairperson.
25. The Regulations and their revisions will be implemented after being passed at the Committee of Institute Affairs, examined at College Academic Office and University Academic Office, and reported to Academic Affairs Meeting for approval. The same procedure will be applied if the regulation is amended.
26. The Regulations were drawn up in Chinese and translated into English. In the event of any discrepancy between the two versions, the original Chinese version shall prevail.
Department of Information Management and Finance
Graduate Program of Finance
Academic Requirements for Doctoral Students
academic year 2019
|minimum periods||2 years|
|minimum graduation credits||35 credits (excluding preliminary courses)|
|minimum graduation credits of students admitted to the PhD program from MA program||41 credits (excluding preliminary courses)|
*The Regulations were drawn up in Chinese and translated into English. In the event of any discrepancy between the two versions, the original Chinese version shall prevail.